Monday, November 16, 2009

Giving Thanks





N and I are trying to create new traditions for our family as well as continue on traditions that we had as kids.  Thanksgiving is a big deal in my house.  Everyone always comes over to my moms house and we have a wonderful time.  We have tried to "give thanks" in a group setting and it always becomes emotional!  Great idea, but everyone always ends up in happy tears :)  It ended up being something that we all dreaded because we didn't want to cry!  But I always enjoyed the "giving thanks" part.  I saw this tutorial on Moda Bake Shop and knew I really wanted to try and incorporate this into our traditions.  I lassoed in "Martha" and this is what we ended up with.  I really like how it turned out and the kids are already looking forward to it at night.  I started the tradition with reading a Thanksgiving book about what it is all about.  I mean, how do you describe why we have Thanksgiving to little kids!  That is why I love books!  This book was just okay.  If you have any other great books about why we give thanks, please share!  We are writing down what we are thankful for every day for the 12 days leading up to thanksgiving.  We do it out loud right now, but eventually I would like for them to write them down and it would be a surprise when we read them all out loud at thanksgiving dinner.  I can't wait to see how this tradition turns out throughout the years!  We even decided against putting our family name at the bottom just in case it turns into an heirloom and our daughters want to use it with their families :)  I didn't even know that these things existed!  In the midst of making mine, my super crafty friend posted one on her blog and referenced this one! How crazy...$69 seriously.

2 comments:

  1. So cute!!! May have to try making that one myself!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing that you have time and the energy to do this - I know it will become a wonderful family tradition. I agree about the part about telling what you're thankful for - Just too hard to do in front of 30 other family members. So wish you were going to be here this year, but I'm thankful that I have such a wonderful Mom (and Dad) for my precious Grandbabies.

    ReplyDelete