Monday, November 2, 2009

Pumpkins and Halloween

What a whirlwind weekend this was!  We tried to fit it all in and took a deep breath on Sunday when it was all over!  We managed to get our pumpkins carved on Friday night.  Nothing like waiting until the last minute...C had her last soccer "practice" on Saturday and they got to dress up and play soccer in their costumes.  Then we went trick or treating with some neighbors.  We did nothing today and it was greatness!  We still haven't found a church and are rather exhausted with the whole church shopping experience.  We are continuing to trust God that it will happen, but today we took a break.  With all the flu stuff going around, I actually didn't mind staying home.  

G was well on his way to sweet dreams while the pumpkin festivities were going on.  C got a card from her Nana that day and wanted her pumpkin to have scary eyes like the mask that Nana sent her.  So N just traced it on her pumpkin and she was thrilled.  J just got the generic, "Mommy is way to exhausted to make this pumpkin a masterpiece" pumpkin face.  He loved it!  I thought it would be really cool to save all the seeds and roast them like my mom used to do for us.  I have great memories about eating those yummy salty seeds.  But when I looked at all the seeds and all the guts and started trying to sort them out, I threw in the towel.  So much work!!  Does anyone have a good method for this?



It was fun to watch all the kids play in their costumes.  She has been in the coolest soccer program this year.  It was called Mini Kickers... they didn't play actual games, but did some "drills" that used things that the kids would recognize to help them learn the game of soccer!  C loved it!!!!  For example, this week they used the game Hungry Hungry Hippo and had a few of the players wear pennies (they were the hippos) and they had to chase after the other players (who were dribbling the ball around) and try to eat them.  The coach was amazing!!  He was from the UK and had a cool accent, awesome with the kids.  He had so much energy and enthusiasm.  Made it even fun for us to watch!

You will notice that C is wearing a James costume...yes she was very indecisive this year about her costume.  When we were back to school shopping she saw these wings at Gymboree that she had to have.  We had just met a new friend who wore wings everywhere and C thought she needed some.  Me being the practical mom, knew that she would not wear them...ever.  She doesn't like to play dress up and has three dress-up dresses that she never wears.  Well, she wouldn't stop asking me for it in the store.  She just kept on and kept on.  "But, whyyyyyyy can't I have the wings."  "Because, you will never weaaaaaarrrrrr them."  Yes I will, I promise!" "Okay, you can get them if you wear them for Halloween." (I Secretly thought she would say okay, no I don't want them) but she said, "Okay, i will wear them for Halloween. "  Great, now I have to buy the stinkin wings...So I buy the wings and the tierra headband thing.  Some time goes by,  we don't see the new winged friend very often, we buy J a thomas costume (which she loves) and she decides that she wants to be Thomas for Halloween.  No, that is J's costume...(But I secretly think it would cute if they matched) So I offer a compromise...She can be James!  So I find a James costume on ebay, order it, it comes, she loves it!  They play in those costumes all week.  Then she goes back to the butterfly, so I make her a skirt.  Then Halloween day comes and she says she wants to be James.  Nope, I slaved over this silly skirt, you will be a butterly fairy!!!  She complains, but eventually is happy.  She looked adorable and had a great night!  We trick or treated with some neighbors before it started raining and had a wonderful Halloween.  J LOVED being thomas and thought it was the coolest thing ever!  G man was a little monkey and looked super cute napping in the stroller while the older kids collected the goods.